Friday, January 11, 2008

Blog #2: Oedipus Teachings

After spending the first three days of class scruntinizing the very meaning of Oedipus Rex, and how it still applies to today's world, I have come to the conclusion that Sophocles wrote this work to bring joy to its readers. When it comes down to it, there is truly no story more depressing and tragic than that of Oedipus, and I believe he wrote the story negatively for a reason. The readers of Oedipus Rex can pick up the play and realize that their lives, no matter how awful and meaningless they may seem, can never reach the level of Oedipus. I feel like his story, in the end, has a positive message because it provides hope for the hopeless, shelter for the homeless, etc. I have never read a story so depressing that acctaully gives hope by the end of it. I can honestly say that I feel better about myself after reading Oedipus Rex because I know that my life will never be as messed up as his was.

-Just keep listening to zone 6.

No comments: